Embassy Summer Medway – England
Available: 26 June – 7 August 2016
Ages: 12 – 17
Location: University of Greenwich, Medway Campus
Time to London: 45 minutes (by train)
Medway Campus is part of the University of Greenwich. The campus is located some distance east of Greenwich itself in an area known as Maritime Chatham, in the county of Kent.
Historically the area was once an active harbour. The Docklands near to the campus have been developed in recent years to become an attractive area with shops, museums, restaurants and a cinema.
Medway is ideally located for students who want to live and study outside of London yet have easy access to the city for trips and excursions.
All Embassy Summer school students are accommodated in one area at the end of the campus.
The rooms are modern and all have a private en suite bathroom.
Security: There is 24-hour security on site. Anyone with an emergency during the night should call the centre mobile number which will be given to all students on arrival.
- Classrooms: Modern classrooms with PC and projector to support the academic programme.
- Sports facilities: Green lawns for outdoor games, large sports hall and two outdoor tennis courts.
- Dining Hall: Self-service in university refectory on site. Meals are operated on a self-service basis and a rota system for dining will be in operation at lunch and dinner.
- Social space: There is a classic English-style bar where most of the evening entertainment will be held.
- Common room: The large student union offers an excellent venue for many of the evenings.
- Entertainment: The great hall on site is occasionally used for talent nights and the lecture theatres are used for the film nights.
- WiFi: Free WiFi is available across all classrooms and common areas. WiFi is available within youraccommodation for a small fee.
Travel time to major airports and stations: †
|Airport or Station||Transfer time|
|London Gatwick (LGW)||45 minutes|
|London Heathrow (LHR)||1 hour 30 minutes|
|St Pancras International (Eurostar)||1 hour 30 minutes|
|Stansted Airport (STN)||1 hour 45 minutes|
|Luton Airport (LTN)||2 hours|
- Sports: Football, mini-Olympics, Rounders, Dance, Volleyball, Aerobics and Tennis.
- Non-sports: Arts & Crafts, Drama and Treasure Hunts
- International Night, Discos, Extravaganza, Scavenger Hunt, Fashion Show and Karaoke.
* Examples of typical activities offered are shown
Our City Explorer programme runs at this centre: included in the course price (each week)
- Two full day trips into London during the week (offset by two full days in class)
- An additional full day trip at the weekend
Examples of typical included excursions:
- London: The UK capital offers an unrivalled choice of shopping, world-class galleries, museums and so much more.
- Brighton: Just one hour from London, Brighton is an historic and colourful city by the sea with great shops, palace, pier, bars and restaurants.
- Cambridge: This historic city, with its grand universities and museums, narrow streets and shops can all be enjoyed on foot.
- Canterbury: An historic cathedral city, which is the centre of the Church of England.
- Oxford: Home to England’s oldest university, you’ll enjoy exploring Oxford’s grand buildings, containing museums, shops and colleges.
Examples of typical optional excursions:
- Buckingham Palace: Visit the Queen’s Gallery and, during a few weeks of summer, the state rooms at the British Monarch’s primary home.
- Brighton Royal Pavilion: An unusual and decorative palace that is influenced by oriental styles.
- Hastings: Historic seaside town, with shops, amusements and modern art gallery.
- Chessington World of Adventures: A zoo and theme park on the edge of Greater London, with roller-coasters and water rides.
- Hampton Court Palace: A 16th century, large and impressive palace with extensive gardens.
- Kew Gardens: Huge garden estate housing the World’s largest collection of living plants.
- London Eye: Take a ride on Europe’s tallest Ferris wheel and enjoy fantastic views over London.
- Madame Tussauds & Marvel 4D Experience: Waxwork museum, now with a unique 4D cinema, where you ‘feel’ the film as well as see it!
- Tower of London: For centuries this palace, with its prison tower, was the place of many royal executions.
** Examples of typical excursions shown. Optional excursions require extra payment for travel and entrance