Embassy Summer London Mile End – England
Available: 19 June – 14 August
Ages: 12 – 17
Location: Queen Mary University of London, Mile End
Time to London: 15 minutes to Oxford Circus
The campus is part of Queen Mary University of London, with a 100 year history and an attractive campus based in the Mile End area, just east of the financial distract.
In recent years London’s East End has become an increasingly popular area with artists and galleries. Following this, many trendy boutique shops, cafés, hotels and markets have increased their presence in the area. The centre for this is around Brick Lane and Shoreditch which are a must-see.
Students will be accommodated in single rooms with private (en-suite) bathrooms.
Rooms are arranged in apartments of between 6-9 rooms sharing a common area.
Security: There is 24-hour security on site. Anyone with an emergency during the night should call the centre mobile number which will be given to all students on arrival.
- Sports facilities: Multi-purpose indoor sports hall. Local parks are occasionally used for outdoor games.
- Dining Hall: Self-service in the large spacious dining room.
- Common room: The large student union offers an excellent venue for many of the evenings.
- Entertainment: The great hall on site is occasionally used for talent nights and the lecture theatres are used for the film nights.
- WiFi: Limited availability in the accommodation area
Travel time to major airports and stations: †
|Airport or Station||Transfer time|
|St Pancras International (Eurostar)||20 minutes|
|London Heathrow (LHR)||50 minutes|
|Stansted Airport (STN)||1 hour|
|London Gatwick (LGW)||1 hour 20 minutes|
|Luton Airport (LTN)||1 hour 40 minutes|
- Sports: Football, Mini-Olympics, Rounders, Baseball, Dance workshops, Volleyball and Aerobics.
- Non-sports: Treasure Hunts, Mask making, Drama and Art.
- Blind Date, International Night, Discos, Extravaganza, Round-the-world quiz, Fashion Show and Karaoke.
* Examples of typical activities offered are shown
Included in the course price:
- One full-day excursion per week by coach or train
- 4 visits into London by underground each week (Transport will be paid into London on 4 days a week).
- Transport for local visits not included.
Examples of typical inclusive excursions:
- Local visits:The UK capital offers an unrivalled choice of shopping, world-class galleries, museums and so much more.
- London: The UK capital offers an unrivalled choice of shopping, world-class galleries, museums and so much more.
- Brighton: Just one hour from London, Brighton is an historic and colourful city by the sea with great shops, palace, pier, bars and restaurants.
- Cambridge: This historic city, with its grand universities and museums, narrow streets and shops can all be enjoyed on foot.
- Canterbury: An historic cathedral city, which is the centre of the Church of England.
- Oxford: Home to England’s oldest university, you’ll enjoy exploring Oxford’s grand buildings, containing museums, shops and colleges.
Examples of typical optional excursions:
- Buckingham Palace: Visit the Queen’s Gallery and, during a few weeks of summer the state rooms at the British Monarch’s primary home.
- Brighton Royal Pavilion: An unusual and decorative palace that is influenced by oriental styles.
- Chessington World of Adventures: A zoo and theme park on the edge of Greater London, with roller-coasters and water rides.
- Hampton Court Palace: A 16th century, large and impressive palace with extensive gardens.
- Kew Gardens: Huge garden estate housing the World’s largest collection of living plants.
- London Eye: Take a ride on Europe’s tallest ferris wheel and enjoy fantastic views over London.
- Madame Tussauds & Marvel 4D Experience: Waxwork museum, now with a unique 4D cinema, where you ‘feel’ the film as well as see it!
- Tower of London: For centuries this palace, with its prison tower was the place of many royal executions.
- Windsor Castle: Visit the Queen’s favourite weekend home. The oldest, and largest, inhabited castle in the world.
- Thorpe Park: Visit one of the biggest theme parks in the UK and enjoy the many roller coasters and rides.
- Stratford upon Avon: Visit the historic riverside town and see the birthplace of William Shakespeare.
** Examples of typical excursions shown. Optional excursions require extra payment for travel and entrance