Our roots go back to 1892 when the West Ham Technical Institute was created as a provider of vocational education for the local community. Dubbed the ‘People’s University’ by John Passmore Edwards, the Institute offered courses in science, engineering and art and also featured a Women’s Department. In 1970 the Institute merged with colleges in Walthamstow and Dagenham to form the North East London Polytechnic. Following the modernisation of facilities and campuses, we became the Polytechnic of East London in 1988 and, in 1992, the University of East London. The Docklands campus – the first new university campus to be built in London for 50 years – was opened in 1999. In April 2013 we were granted armorial bearings by the College of Arms.